Math 8 consolidates the learning from elementary school with a focus on number sense and problem-solving skills.
The course includes units on:
It is expected that students will use calculators throughout this course.
MATHMATICS 9 (required)
Topics or Focus:
- Working with exponents, solving equations, and operations with polynomials.
- Operations with rational numbers like operations with fractions.
- Graphing and making predictions based on patterns.
- Proportional reasoning about shapes and measures such as scale diagrams and unit conversions.
- Simple interest, savings and budgeting, or analyzing the validity of statistical information.
MATH COURSES FOR GRADES 10, 11 AND 12
Required courses for a Dogwood Diploma:
- Workplace 10 OR FMP (Foundations and Pre-Calculus) 10
- Workplace 11 OR Foundations 11 OR Pre-Calculus 11
WORKPLACE PATH: Fulfills requirements for:
- Dogwood Diploma
- Trades Programs
- Some college and university programs
FOUNDATIONS PATH: Fulfills requirements for:
- Dogwood Diploma
- University entrance to Humanities, Arts and some Sciences (such as Nursing, X-Ray)
- College Programs
PRE-CALCULUS PATH: Fulfills requirements for highly specialized programs such as:
WORKPLACE MATH 10 (meets Math 10 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Completion of Math 9
- graphing, trigonometry, and angles.
- measurement and conversions.
- surface area and volume.
- statistics and financial literacy.
FMP (FOUNDATIONS OF MATH AND PRE-CALCULUS)10 (meets Math 10 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: C+ or better in Math 9
- graphing linear functions and solving linear systems of equations.
- multiplying and factoring polynomials.
- trigonometry, probability, and financial literacy.
WORKPLACE MATH 11 (meets Math 11 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Completion of Workplace 10 or FMP 10
- understanding and applying the metric and imperial systems of measurement to 2-D and 3-D objects.
- geometry and trigonometry.
- financial literacy: income, spending, and debt.
FOUNDATIONS OF MATH 11 (meets Math 11 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Minimum 67% in FMP 10
- geometry (angle, triangle, polygon properties).
- simple trigonometry for non-right triangles (laws of sine and cosine).
- basic statistical analysis.
- working with quadratic functions to model data and patterns.
- using inequalities to solve problems.
- rate, scale and logic.
PRE-CALCULUS 11 (meets math 11 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Minimum 73% in FMP 10 THIS IS A HIGHLY SPECIALIZED COURSE
- working with quadratic functions; solving quadratic equations.
- trigonometry involving angles from 0 to 360 degrees.
- operations with radical and rational expressions.
- absolute value, linear and quadratic systems of equations.
FOUNDATIONS OF MATH 12 (elective) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Minimum 67% in Foundations 11
- finance (lending and borrowing).
- basic set theory (organizing information using special math notations).
- counting methods (calculating permutations and combinations).
- probability (calculating probability and odds of events).
- modelling data.
STATISTICS 12 (meets Math 11 or Math 12 requirement) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: 86% in FMP 10 / 73% in FOM 11 / 60% in Pre-Calc 11
- learning the ins and outs of statistical thinking (how to read, understand, and conduct statistical studies).
- taking an in-depth dive into probabilities and the role it plays in our lives.
- One-step variable statistics, two-step variable statistics, permutations, combinations, introduction to probability and probability distribution.
- a mid-semester culminating assignment - students will conduct a survey to the entire school to answer a question that they pose. Completed project will be a write-up summarizing their results and conclusions that they may have gleaned.
- a year-end culminating project - Casino Assignment: students will develop a simple casino game, calculate the probabilities behind it, expected value, probability distribution, etc. we will then test the calculations by having the school student population gamble for a day or two. After which, students will compare their real world results to their calculated results.
STATISTICS 12 WILL NOT BE OFFERED FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
PRE-CALCULUS 12 (may be offered as a video course) 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Minimum 73% in Pre-Calc 11 THIS IS A HIGHLY SPECIALIZED COURSE
- Permutations, combinations, and binomial theorem
CALCULUS 12 4 credits
Pre-requisite: Minimum 73% in Pre-Calc 12 THIS IS A HIIGHLY SPECIALIZED COURSE
- Limits and definition of derivatives
- Integral techniques and application