Career Program Coordinator – Mrs. Dubé
Administrative Assistant – Mrs. Pelletier
Lakes District Secondary School (250) 692-7733 Fax (250) 692-4231
CAREER EDUCATION 8
All grade 8 students will be enrolled in this course. Career Education will be delivered throughout the year through seminars and workshops. Students will be instructed on a variety of topics such as career exploration, career goal setting, value of work, economic/labour market and educational choices.
CAREER EDUCATION 9
All grade 9 students will be enrolled in this course. Career Education will be instructed on a variety of topics such as career exploration, skills, value of work, goal setting, labour market and career path setting.
For more information and to view course content, please visit the BC Education website at www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/irp.htm
CAREER LIFE EDUCATION 10
*Mandatory Graduation Requirement
The Big Ideas related to Career Life Education include:
- Career-Life choices are made in a recurring cycle of planning, reflecting, adapting and deciding.
- Career-Life decisions are influenced by internal and external factors, including local and global trends.
- Cultivating networks and reciprocal relationships can support and broaden career-life awareness and options.
- Finding balance between personal and work life promotes well-being.
- LIfelong learning fosters Career-Life opportunities.
Students should expect to learn the following:
- Career-Life development: mentorship, employability skills, leadership skills, collaboration skills, self-assessment, ways to represent themselves both personally and publicly and appropriate work behaviour.
- Connection to the community: ways to contribute to the community and society that take cultural influences into consideration, value of volunteerism, taking different world views (diverse perspectives) and employment marketing strategies.
- Career-Life planning: Career-Life development research, methods of organizing and maintaining authentic Career-Life evidence, decision making, innovative thinking, flexible planning and goal setting, financial planning, pre-graduation and post-graduation opportunities and local and global labour and market trends.
CAREER LIFE CONNECTIONS
*Mandatory Graduation Requirement
Grade 11 - Complete Career-Life Education Course (2 credits) and begin Career-Life Connections course (2 credits)
Students will explore personal Career-Life development, focusing on growth in competencies, discussing strengths and Career-Life goals and preparing to showcase their capstone project in Grade 12.
Grade 12 - Complete Career-Life Connections Course (2 credits)
The capstone is a rigorous learning opportunity for students to reflect and share in personally meaningful ways and is a requirement for Career-Life Connections and for graduation. The purpose of the capstone is for students to demonstrate the knowledge, competencies and passions that they can offer the world as they integrate personal interests and strengths with preferred future possibilities. It is a representation of the student's learning journey and provides an opportunity to reflect and synthesize as well as showcase and celebrate.
LDSS CAREER PROGRAMS
LDSS offers many Career Programs designed specifically for Grades 10 through 12 students. Students are encouraged to meet regularly with our Career Programs Coordinators.
Throughout the school year, the Career Centre offers interested students the opportunity to participate in exploration projects in the following fields.
- Natural Resource Management
- Trail Design
- Local Government
- Heavy Duty
- Forest Management
Other programs offered through the Career Centre include Encounters with Canada, Junior Firefighter, RCMP Youth Academy, Project Smelter, Youth Work in Trades, as well as Inheritors of the Future and the P.A.R.T.Y. programs.
WEBSITES TO HELP WITH PLANNING FOR YOUR FUTURE:
Planning Your Future!
* compare school programs
* identify admission requirements
* explore career paths
* request information from schools
* access your account from any computer
* search over $30,000,000.00 in scholarships
Login to access https://www.myblueprint.ca/
The Online Academic and Career Planning Solution